AMIGOS is a leader in international youth development, creating a world in which young people realize their full potential as leaders and global citizens. We provide extraordinary opportunities for youth to design and lead projects in collaboration with US and Latin American peers and partner organizations across the Americas. Our strong partner network, built over 50 years, enables authentic engagements in communities across the region.
Amigos San Diego
The AMIGOS San Diego Chapter recruits, trains, and supports AMIGOS participants and their families from San Diego and outlying areas. Our chapter accepts participants September through November of the fall prior to each summer experience. During the months of December through June, San Diego Chapter participants will take part in local training and fundraising events as they prepare for their AMIGOS experience.
Please contact Glen Ragins the Recruitment Coordinator at email@example.com or (858)761-3462.
Board of Directors
Board Member at Large
HOW TO APPLY
READY TO START YOUR APPLICATION?
1. Click here to start your application. Make sure to select that you are applying for the San Diego chapter.
2. Complete your application and pay your $50 application fee. If you are applying for financial aid, complete the financial aid section within the application.
3. Complete an interview.
4. Pay your $450 Chapter deposit.
January 14, 2018: Extended Chapter Application Deadline
The San Diego Chapter covers AMIGOS program costs through a combination of family payments and fundraising activities. This approach allows us to keep costs to families low while teaching valuable fundraising and community outreach skills.
Family Fee: $3,850 (Payment plans available. Alumni receive a $365 discount.)
Application Fee: $50 (Non-refundable and not included in the Family Fee.)
Fundraising Goal: $3,100 (Learn more about fundraising here.)
- Training materials and workshops
- Round-trip international airfare
- Secondary short-term international medical insurance
- Program excursions
- Food, lodging, and transportation in Latin America
- Supplies for community project and extracurricular activities
- 24-hour On Call Emergency Management System
- Travel hotline and support
FEES DO NOT INCLUDE
- Immunizations and pre-travel medical examinations
- Passport/visa fees
DUE DATES AND PAYMENT OPTIONS
- Participants pay their family fees beginning December 15, 2017. The fee must be paid by April 15, 2018.
- Fees can be paid online or by mail. Payment plans are available.
Family Fee: $3,850
Application Fee: $50
Fundraising Goal: $3,100
AMIGOS actively recruits and supports inclusion of participants from diverse backgrounds. AMIGOS provides needs-based financial assistance with distribution determined by family income, number of dependents and special financial circumstances. We provide amounts of $500-$2,000 to qualified applicants as deductions on the family fee. Financial assistance applications are due on October 27th, 2017. Please contact Kelly Ragins at firstname.lastname@example.org for information and details about specific individual grants available. In addition, participants who are returning for an additional summer receive a $365 discount.
The transformative AMIGOS experience starts before leaving home.
With 50 years of experience preparing young people for travel and service abroad, AMIGOS training offers unparalleled global youth leadership development. Pre-departure training equips participants with the critical thinking, communication skills, and technical knowledge they need to make a meaningful impact across cultures while staying healthy and safe. The San Diego Chapter AMIGOS training is a youth-led, experiential learning that prepares participants for their AMIGOS experience, builds a community of youth and families with shared values, and develops life-skills to help participants succeed beyond AMIGOS. Training sessions are facilitated by the Training Team and include guest speakers from the community and the San Diego Chapter Board of Directors.
The San Diego Chapter incorporates service learning into the AMIGOS training to add depth and first-hand experience to the curriculum. Service learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility and strengthen communities.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE TRAINING PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- Unparalleled leadership development
- Cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Hands-on training for technical aspects of the program
- Extensive health and safety training
- Opportunities to practice Spanish
- Creating a community of young people with shared values
THE TIME COMMITMENT FOR TRAINING ACTIVITIES INCLUDES:
- Four weekend day trainings
- Three overnight retreats (includes one post-summer)
- Service learning project
- Four online assessments to determine readiness for the summer
All participants are required to fully take part in each fundraising activity as fundraising skills are an important component of AMIGOS training program and raise awareness of AMIGOS programs in the community. Participants receive considerable help with regard to fundraising strategies, and the experience gained in this effort will definitely build important skills!
LETTER WRITING/DONOR CONTACTS
Each participant is required to send out a combination of letters and emails to friends and family, to request individual tax-deductible donations (the revenue from this effort is pooled). Letters are written by the participant with considerable help provided by the chapter during the process.
Snap to connect